Tuesday, July 2, 2013

a truthful personal statement

Clinical Psychology programs are harder to get into than medical schools. If I had a dollar for every time someone felt the need to tell me that, I'd have a handful of dollars.

Most schools get 200-300 applicants and accept 5-8 students. A professor I met with last week told me that most students' applications are so competitive that students' resumes are more impressive than her own.

I think about this every. single. day. And I have panic attacks about it almost every day.

Because here's the thing - I'm not great at taking tests. I surely will NOT be getting a perfect score on the GRE. My resume may not have 20 publications, but I know that if I were accepted into a PhD program, I would work my ass off.

For me, getting into that program means EVERYTHING. It promises hope for a better future for my daughter and my family. It would mean we would have some stability in our lives, and be able to live in one area for at least 4-5 years. I would finally be able to start doing what I love with my life.

They say that the success to life is finding what you love to do and making a career out of it. That is what I'm trying to do.

Failure just isn't an option... but the odds of actually accomplishing my dreams are so slim that failure could be inevitable.

I need someone who can see into the future. I also probably need to check myself into a mental institution. Wake me up when this is all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave a little note. :)